Those Darn Girl Scouts (Andes Creme de Methe Cookies)

It happens every year. You make your New Year’s Resoulutions, which include things like “Lose the 10 pounds I was supposed to lose last year,” and “make it to the gym past the first two weeks in January“. You are feeling really confident that this is the year that you aren’t going to fail on your resolutions. Then, without fail, your doorbell rings. You open it to find a sweet little uniformed girl with a smile so sweet it causes your teeth to ache. She appears innocent, but what you see is the devil hidden behind a green little jumper and girl scout badges. She happily hands you the 20 boxes of Girl Scout cookies you ordered way back in October and at that moment you see all of your New Years resolve vanish.

Why in the world do the Girl Scouts deliver their cookies in January? I would love to have them in December, when I’m pigging out anyway and have people over all the time to share them with. But, nooooo…. they have to come at the very beginning of January, just when you think you may have a chance for success this year.

Unlike some people, I cannot stick the cookies in the freezer and eat them only in emergencies. If they are in my house, they have to be eaten. My kids get to go on a cookie eating binge, eating cookies for breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner simply so I can get the darn things out of my house.

I have taken extra precautions this year so I can be mentally prepared for the Girl Scout cookie arrivial. I’ve discovered this tasty recipe from the back of the Andes Mint Baking Chips bag. These cookies taste so much like the Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies that I really think I’ve eaten enough of them to not be nearly as tempted by the real thing when it comes along.  We’ll see if it works or not. I’ll let you know after the little devil in disguise arrives.

Andes Creme de Menthe Cookies (Andes Mint Cookies)

20 min | 10 min prep

42 cookies

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Blend butter, brown sugar, white granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and eggs until ingredients are mixed.
  3. Add Andes Baking Chips and mix.
  4. Add Flour and continue to mix until all ingredients are well blended together.
  5. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 45-60 minutes.
  6. Spoon out approximately 1 oz of dough per cookie.
  7. Form a ball and then slightly flatten.
  8. Place on non-stick baking pans and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes.
  9. Cool on pans for 2 minutes, then remove.
Do you love mint? Check out what these other food bloggers have cooked up!

Comments

1. CoreyAnn says

You are toooooo funny! I spent today as a mentor “Girl Scout mommy” for a friend of mine who has no goal of ever helping her 9 year old gain a badge. I’ve now taken over and we spent today working on the cooking badge and getting ready for cookie sales!

I totally agree with you…the timing is bad for resolutions. But maybe its good for them because most people probably have “fallen off the wagon” well before February and probably have given up the ghost and are wanting to bulk up again with snacks…hehe.

LOL! I do love the girl scout cookie time… I was a girl scout and it was one of the few things I liked selling! These cookies sound really good…just cover them in chocolate and there you go…oh, and put them in the freezer…the mint ones are better from the freezer!

Claires last blog post..Soup’s On Call

3. Leah says

I will be greeted with my two boxes upon my return to school. One of my kindergarten Daisy was selling them and I just could not turn down. And, now you have posted this yummy recipe…thanks, Kristen! :)

4. Laura says

Hilarious! It’s a good question (jan vs. dec delivery) that I think you should pose to the Girl Scouts HQ. Fight the good fights! :)

Am going to try these using another mint chocolate I bought a box of (the husband said he liked them, and then after 2, declared that he didnt – argh!).

5. DeLynn says

You are right these are really good! Made my share of them….but there is nothing in the world like a Girl Scout Thin Mint!! They are as old as I am.

Now since your cookies arrived today I bet the ones I order from the gal at work will be there tomorrow. :o( I was going to get back on the wagon January 5th!! Guess not!

d.

andes mint baking chips are second only to cinnamon chips in my list of most fabulous goodie-additions ever. good luck battling those pesky girl scouts and their evil cookies. :)

graces last blog post..deja vu

I LOVE Andes Baking Chips! They are incredibly yummy on top of a batch of homemade brownies. Mmm.. I might have to make those tonight. I grabbed a bag of the “peppermint” chips Andes had over Christmas.
    ~Cat

Cats last blog post..Wings of Love

I have the same problem in January, not because of girl scout cookies, but because I still head home for vacation, and my mom is an excellent cook. I announced to my family that I would be eating only salad and then watched in dismay as she concocted a Mexican feast.

*Sigh* I guess we always have February!

emiglias last blog post..What is it about food and memories?

I love girl scout cookie time, but you are right – what a dent it puts in a diet! I’ve taken to ordering them and leaving them at my boyfriends house so I can enjoy them in small amounts when I’m over there. If I keep them at my house it’s all over!

Happy New Year!

Jessicas last blog post..Beef Wellington

So nice that we don’t get girl scout cookies here, isn’t it? Well to tell you the truth I actually would like to try them, cause I’ve been reading about them everywhere. But it’s good to know I can try a similar on with this recipe of yours!

clumbsycookies last blog post..May 2009 be sweet and spicy!

11. Julie says

Do you have a recipe that tastes like the girl scout “Somaia”–that’s the coconut, caramel, chocolate one. This is my favorite and the one that makes me say “those darned girl scouts”. I can consume a whole box.