Big City Living (Recipe: Bacon & Egg Cups)

I grew up in a town with a population of a whoppin’ 1,000 residents. As children, we would walk the streets freely after dark without our parents worrying about us being harmed. My friends and I would sit up on the curb of the local convenience store or on the bench outside of the post office, drinking our Coca-Cola’s and hanging out. If you forgot your wallet at home and had a cart full of groceries at the store, you could put it on your tab and pay when you got around to it. Everyone knew everyone and you wouldn’t dare do something against the rules or you could bet your mom would be getting a call from someone who spotted you. As a kid, you couldn’t get away with causing too much trouble. Small town living was great, but I always dreamed of the day when I would be unleashed to the big city.

Fast forward several years later and the “big” city that I moved to was Kansas City. I now have 3 children and am often making comparisons to my childhood versus theirs. For example… most of the people I grew up with were with the same classmates from Kindergarten to 8th grade, then joined by other small towns kids in our county for our high school years.  My 1st grader is in a great school with 5 1st grade classes. He only had 2 people carry over to his current classroom from his old Kindergarten class.  He will most likely have to make new friends each year as he progresses through elementary school.  Another example – I lived in the country and we only had access to 3 TV channels. My kids now could watch a different channel on TV every day of the year and still not get through them all.

What made me reflect the most on this topic happened just last week. Growing up in my little small town, my parents paid like $15 for us to play little league softball/baseball. We went to the community center a few weeks before the season started, paid our dues and were on the team. Last week, I found out that our dues for Jacob’s summer baseball team were due. Then, I got a major shock. To play baseball, as a 7 year old boy, the fee is $180. $180 for a kid to play summer ball! Can you believe that? That includes the team T-Shirt and that would be it.  Coaches are volunteers, so it isn’t like that fee goes towards supporting the coaches.

This realization honestly made me wish we were raising our kids in a small town setting. Jacob is a good baseball player, but at 7 he has a lot of learning to do. I feel like if I am paying $180 for him to play ball, he needs to be at a strong competitive level and he needs to be dedicated to baseball as a long term sport. At the age of 7, I would hope most kids would still be at the exploratory level… trying to figure out what sport they are good at and enjoy doing! Apparently that isn’t how it is in the “big city”. Parents are, once again, going to extremes to turn sports into something that is more work for kids than fun.

To keep with my goal to make 2009 the year to simplify, I found a small town outside of the city that charges $50 for baseball. I think I am going to drive a little further in order to give Jacob the opportunity to play ball the way I used to… where it was a fun, summer activity. Not something that stressed the kid and the pocketbook!

Speaking of simple, once again, I have a very simple, fun, impressive recipe to share with you! I know that bacon and eggs aren’t difficult to make for breakfast, but this recipe puts a little twist on an old standby and clean up is an absolute breeze. Simple from start to finish!

Big city or small town, simplify your morning by giving these Bacon and Egg cups a try.

Bacon and Egg Cups (adapted from Recipezaar)

25 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 3 , 2 each

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Using a muffin/cupcake pan, line the holes with a slice of bacon, pressing the bacon around the sides of the hole, not on the bottom.
  3. Crack one egg into each hole (I broke each yolk because my kids don’t like runny eggs).
  4. Sprinkle with salt, cracked black pepper and cheese.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or longer for crispier bacon.
  6. Pop out of the muffin tins and serve.
Do you love bacon? Check out these recipes from food bloggers around the globe:

Comments

I never bought into the idea of bucolic charm.

I don’t want everyone knowing my business. If friends are the family you choose, the neighbors are the friends you don’t choose.

There are pros and cons to leaving in every sort environment, but for me, the small town life seems suffocating.

At any rate, I’m glad I found your blog. Good writing and perspective.

EJXD2s last blog post..Harry’s beast

Wow, that’s a chunk of money for a 7 yr. old to play ball! Glad that you were able to find another team for him to play on.
    The bacon and egg cup is such a cute idea! And tasty, too.

I’m a novice cook (like, SO novice, I’m not really sure if “cook” is even the right word!) and I figured this was simple (especially since I’m so lazy to make regular bacon/eggs, ha) for me to try, but still make it look cool to impress friends/family. Just tried this one out not even an hour ago! I absolutely love it! Too bad I won’t have an oven when I get back to school next week. :(

I’m posting a video right now if you’re interested!

Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

I don’t know… I live in a small town, and our sports fees are also through the roof. And the competitiveness is fierce- in a bad way. Every sport that our high school offers is now offered as a community club from four years old on, and if your child isn’t in the club right away at four, they’ll be behind for forever. Our kids really aren’t interested in sports at their ages, and it’s kind of sad to me that as they get older they might get interested in playing, but won’t be welcome on the team. Of course, it does keep our schedule fairly clear, so for that I’m grateful!

Erikas last blog post..A Warm Hearty Bowl Of Comfort

I grew up in a small town too, where it was perfectly safe for Mom and Dad to just tell me to come home around dark and if that was 9 or 10pm in the summer time, that was alright. They knew they could usually find me playing basketball or baseball at the end of the road anyways.
    I don’t have kids to find leagues for but I’m currently trying to find an adult volleyball league for myself and finding out that I’d really rather just play basketball at the end of the road…
    That was a ramble… the bacon cups definitely win my approval, they’re made of bacon, how could they not?

brilynns last blog post..NYC Dining: Daniel Boulud and Thomas Keller

6. Julie says

I just wanted to say thank you for this. I made them for my new boyfriend and knocked his socks off! The following weekend we made them again, but we used egg beaters, added some sauteed bell peppers and mushrooms and plopped a dollop of veggie cream cheese in them and it had to have been one of my favorite breakfasts of all time (we served them with a side of pumpkin pancakes). So, again, thank you so much.

To all Little League parents, many baseball players are in high demand for batting gloves used by the best MLB players in the game. Check out the newest Nike, Mizuno, TPX, and Easton batting gloves worn by players like Alex Rodriguez, Jimmy Rollins, and Derek Jeter!

8. Tyson Goeltz says

Enjoyed these for breakfast the other day….made 3 with the eggs scrambled and 3 without breaking the yolk. The scrambled version was not as good, so I would suggest leaving the yolk intact with this recipe. Great way to change up your standard egg and bacon breakfast.

These look lovely and I can’t wait to try. I wanted to ask…the hubby and I enjoy the eggs more runny, so, if I left the yolk whole, how long would I bake it for? (I can’t see to bake an egg properly…drives me crazy!) Thanks for the recipe!