Addictive Caramel Corn Puffs

I have been contemplating going to BlogHer 2009 which I was so excited to find out is in Chicago this year. Last year I was on vacation (if you call being in a hurricane a vacation) when BlogHer occurred so I didn’t make it. This year, of course, I will have a 2 month old baby. I have been weighing my options to figure out if BlogHer 2009 could really be feasible considering how my life will be at that point.

I called my sister to see if she would be willing to go with me. She could watch the baby for me, hang out in Chicago, while I attended the conference. Since I will still be nursing, she could bring me the baby when that needed to happen and all would be well. Then I thought about how you look and feel at month two post baby. Tired, fat, flabby, pudgy, leaky, etc. Would I really want to meet some of the people I have known through blogging for the first time in real life while I was a walking pudge ball? Then I thought… I could use BlogHer as my excuse to not gain much weight and to get back into shape after the baby is born. That could be my motivation.

Well, I’m here to say I really want to go to BlogHer, but in order to do that I am going to have to give up two of my main food staples right now… Wendy’s French Fries and Caramel Corn Puffs. Seriously, one cup of these caramel corn puffs has enough fat and calories in it to instantly make my rear the size of Texas. But, they are soooo addicting… if you like that sweet / salty combo, then these fat inducing snacks are so worth it.

I have a choice to make now… continue enlarging my rear or meet you all at BlogHer. Stay tuned to see the outcome!

Addictive Caramel Corn Puffs

2 sticks butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. Karo (light)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 package Cheetos butter flavored corn puffs (Chester’s Puffcorn)

In a large saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar and Karo to a boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Stir in vanilla, salt and baking soda. (This will cause the mixture to bubble up.) Pour the corn puffs into a large bowl. Pour the mixture over the corn puffs and stir until well coated. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Turn and stir every 15 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack. To store, place in a sealed air tight container.

This is a recipe from my husbands Grandma Doyle. Recipes like this one are perfect for The Viva Diva Cafe Recipe Contest. If you haven’t entered in a recipe yet, make sure to do so soon. There are some great prizes available for the winner!

Comments

I am not even going to think about making those delicious looking caramel corn puffs because I have no self control at all.

(P.S. I’ve never been to Blogher but it sounds like an interesting time and I think you should go. You’ll have a great time even if you haven’t lost all your baby weight. Don’t let that stop you!)

Oh my goodness!! Last yr when my Dad came to visit, he insisted on making these! We’ve never heard of them. We searched high and low here for the right puffs, but had to settle on white cheddar cheetos puffs. They actually came out pretty good. What a memory :)

Found the puffs at WalMart super center. You are evil for sharing this….Hubby has decided that this is what I should make for xmas gifts this year…..
    Whit

Whitneys last blog post..BASEBALL

4. Kb says

After searching high and low for butter flavored cheetoes I found a store locator on the frito lay website, it told me every store in my town that carried whatever chip brand I chose. My town had only 2 gas stations that sold them and when my husbad and I went to buy them ( beacuse he has never tried them and I insisted I make them for him because my 7 month pregnant self was craving them he agreed) we could only find one bag!!! So looks like I’m not sharing too much! :)

5. Michelle says

Funny!!! This is that “Chrismas Crack” I was speaking of on facebook the other night! Have to make it every year- and it’s sooooo addictive!

I just came upon this post via pinterest and almost died! We had this stuff and Christmas and I loved it, wanted it, needed it! And now I can make it thanks to you!

7. Shayla says

I had these at a party last Saturday. Holy Crap. I could have eaten the entire bowl. OMG. addicting and fabulous. Absolutely delicious….

8. Robin says

my recipe calls for two bags, but the bag size has been ‘reduced’ since I first started making this….so better double / triple bag the puffer corn…any butter flavored puffer corn will work. Chester Cheetos, Backers (Fulton, MO), etc…

9. Khristy says

Yup, found them at Walmart Superstore here too! I usually make these with regular popcorn but decided to give them a shot…they are in the oven now so we’ll see how they turn out! :)