Well, Hello Writer’s Block

I have been sitting here, with my computer on my lap, for the past two hours trying to think of what to write about. For two hours, I have been sitting here and nothing even remotely related to food has crossed my mind. Instead my mind has been wandering to far off places, thinking of things that really aren’t helpful at all when trying to write a post for a food blog.

• Random Non-Food Related Thought #1 – I’ve been contemplating buying a Dyson vacuum but am hesitant to plunk down that much change for a vacuum cleaner. According to my contacts over at Twitter, a Dyson is well worth the investment. What do you think? Experiences?
  • Random Non-Food Related Thought #2 – I turn 35 in less than 2 weeks. Why is it that as a teenager I had perfect skin, but now that I am in my mid-30’s I am having massive breakouts?  Bring on the Noxzema.
  • Random Non-Food Related Thought #3 – I wonder if people who are auditioning for American Idol play the American Idol Wii game. I’ve actually won the game and have become the next American Wii Idol… thinking it may give those people considering auditioning a little more confidence than they should have to audition.
  • Random Non-Food Related Thought #4 – I really need to find a good blog designer for another blog I’m working on. If Jules with Everyday Design is not available, I need to get someone else in place pronto! Do you know of anyone you can refer?
  • Random Non-Food Related Thought #5 – My husband doesn’t read this blog or our family blog, and I think that is starting to irk me a bit. Seriously… if he wrote a blog (which will never happen) but still…if he wrote a blog I would hang on every word and would love to have that glimpse into his life.  Do your loved ones read your blog?

My thoughts are now getting a bit too random to even continue. I do have to share this recipe with you that I tried out last week. You may have remembered seeing it on our menu. I followed the recipe exactly, but added some chicken breast pieces sauteed in rosemary and garlic. Delicious!

Penne with Pumpkin Cream Sauce from Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine

1 pound penne pasta
2T butter
1 onion, chopped
salt & pepper
1 15-oz. can pure pumpkin puree
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Cook pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking water.

In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the onion and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in the pumpkin and heavy cream and bring to a boil. Return the pasta to the pot, along with the reserved pasta water, and toss. Stir in the parmesan; season with salt & pepper.

Top pasta with parsley and more parmesan to serve.

I know that so many people have such a love/hate relationship with Rachael Ray. I admit, I don’t watch her shows, but I do like a lot of her recipes. Other food bloggers do too! Check out some of these food blog tried and true Rachael Ray recipes:

Comments

1. Nella says

I too get the yips in the kitchen(golf term) That too shall pass.
    1. 2 black cats + white carpet = Dyson.
    Love it. Enough said.
    2. Had enough acne in teenage years that no more was left in my 30’s.
    3. I’m thinking Mr. Wii may like the sound of Americon Idol for Wii. ;)
    4. JCCC may have someone that could help.
    5. My entire family reads my blog. If they don’t I will give them a surprise pop quiz. Threats also work. I am not a proud woman.

Thanks for the great site! Hang in there.
    Nella

2. Anna says

LOVE my Dysons–we just bought our second after having one for 5+ years. DH broke the plastic extension hose. User error. ;o) Anyway, Bed Bath & Beyond will give you 20% off with one of their coupons, and if you have a Discover card with any cash back built up, you can order BB&B gift cards and get more than your cashback. We saved a bundle on our new vacuum this way.

I’m thinking about a Dyson too.. let me know if you get one.

And Jim didn’t used to read my blog… but I nagged him a lot and now he does. Hehe. My family only reads it occasionally, but when they do they usually skim through all the recent posts. I think I nagged them into that to. Try just asking nonchalantly (all the time) if they thought that thing that you said on that post was funny (or smart or creative, etc.) Never tell them what “that thing” is and maybe he’ll be interested enough to log on.

Or sometimes I would tell Jim that a cool internet guy with a hot bod was commenting. He always read the posts then.

robin @ caviar and codfishs last blog post..Grape pie.

I had the same story with the clear skin in high school, then zits attacking in adulthood, although I’m only 26! I’m not full-on pizza-faced or anything, but I definitely get more pimples nowadays than I used to. So if I’m going to start getting massive breakouts in 10 years, fantastic. There’s something to look forward to.

And my husband reads my normal blog but I’m pretty sure he looked at the food one once and hasn’t been back. He doesn’t really care that I cook things every once in a while. I think it kind of gets on his nerves.

camilles last blog post..Pumpkin-Almond Muffins

I love my Dyson!

I also started to get breakouts… after babies. Proactiv really is amazing. I stopped using it to try cheaper alternatives and I began to break out again.

Trishas last blog post..little gym

I love my Dyson!

I also had skin problems… after babies. Proactiv really is amazing. I have tried alternatives but I always end up breaking out again. It’s annoying to me that you can’t buy Proactiv at the store but I put up with their mailing system since it works so well.

Trishas last blog post..little gym

That pasta looks yummy. My husband doesn’t read my blogs (or newsletter) either, but will always mention them. I had some pretty crappy skin as a teen, though nothing crazy – yet as an adult I seem to have adult, cystic acne. It sucks.

I can totally relate to bloggers block. I can easily babble on and on about my own trivial things, but when I really need to focus, I get into trouble.

Kats last blog post..Is Anyone Else Overwhelmed by Passwords & Secret Questions?

I can’t stop laughing. You are truly having a random day! : )

1. Everyone I know loves their Dyson. Plus, it is built to last. You will have it for many years. The investment will pay off.

2. I feel your pain. I was having this conversation with my mirror the other day. My body is changing with age and it is starting to show. Make it stop!

3. I can’t comment on this one. I do not watch American Idol.

4. Already sent you my recommendations but I know that there are a few people in my Twitter ‘follow’ column that also are designers. You might want to check that out.

5. Damn the family members! I have the same issue but I just ignore it. There are some things that are better kept all to myself. Afterall, we all need space from our family. :)

Skip the Dyson- look for a Bissel Healthy Home. Very similar design, but easier to maneuver. I *heart* the Healthy Home Vac.

My DH does read my blogs religiously. But he also works out of town Mon-Fri, so it’s kind of his peek at what our week was like without him.

Thanks for the recipe! That looks perfect and quick for a weeknight dinner.

Erikas last blog post..The Return of Soup of The Week

Hi,

Ile de France Cheese, is holding a new contest! The grand prize winner will receive $1000.00 cash; 2nd and 3rd place finishers will each win an Ile de France Cheese basket worth $150.

To participate, simply send us your Ile de France Cheese recipe, pairing pictures, or video with the recipe text itself.

To learn more about the contest, go to iledefrancecheese.com/blog

Matt

Hello~

1. I have wood floors in the majority of the house and a cleaning lady that brings her vacuum for the rooms that have carpet. I do have one of those cordless sweeper vacs, love it!

2. I’ve never had a problem with acne but I will get one, maybe two when it’s nearing THAT time of the month.

3. No Wii in my household but we’re tossing around the idea for one as a “family” Christmas gift. I want that Wii fit, Mama needs to work off those extra pounds!

4. Sorry, can’t help you here.

5. Nobody but my Mom reads my blog and only after I remind her. I need to do like Susan does….”ifa you no reada da blog you no geta da food”!

RR’s recipe sounds good but I think my children would like some protein in it. As for RR I’ve yet to try anything of hers though I do have her first 2 cookbooks. She has some oddball combinations.

~ingrid

NOOOO! My husband does not read my blog! He barely looks at the Christmas cards (featuring out children’s adorable mugs) that I design each year! I get compliments from others husbands but not from him.

My mom and sisters don’t read my blog either. I guess my mom has looked at it from time to time.

If you are interested, you can look at the designer who did my stationery page but it may be too expensive for a blog… I don’t know. http://quirky-bird.com/

Nicoles last blog post..Olives in Ojai

I love your random thoughts- :)

DH and I have thought about a Dyson but testdrove one the other day and weren’t that impressed for the money- but people love them so what do we know?

I never had breakouts as a teenager but for the last ten or so years I get them in my temple area all the time- I’m 45 when will it end ;0

You’d think the Wii would be good practise- I can’t sing on auditions- I can sing if I’m in the chorus but my voice goes away when I audition -wierd huh?

I could use a good web designer too – I just use the free WordPress themes but I would like an overhaul- is it pricey?

Dh reads my blog- not everyday but he catches up about once a week. My feelings do get a little hurt that other friends and fam don’t seem to care- but i had my blog for about 8 months when my Mum suddenly got really in to it and was calling me everytday to say she’d cooked something off it – too funny :)

Well your pasta looks scrumptious- sorry for such a long comment!
    xo

Gabis last blog post..Becky’s Boyfriend’s Mom’s Peach Pie

Blogs are about writing what we think and feel. Sure, this one may not be food related, but it does let us know more about you :)

I’ve made a very similar sauce to that except mine used cream cheese instead of heavy cream.

I am not married nor taken, so my loved ones would be my parents (and I suppose my brother haha). I haven’t told them about my blog because they are parents and will probably go eek personal info on the internet! My friends know and they visit sometimes.

Carlas last blog post..Tuesdays With Dorie – Dimply Plum Cake