Misconceptions

Have you ever had a really strong belief about something only to be proven wrong? There are so many things these days that if you base it on face value without doing your research, eventually you will be proven wrong.

Let me give you an example. You know how when you go to pick up your kids to school, you see moms in the carpool line or standing outside the school to pick up their kids. You look around and immediately peg them to be one way or another. You don’t do it on purpose, but your mind tends to wander… “Look at her…totally high maintenance”, “She has it all together… look at her with her perfect hair, well dressed kids and pda.”, “She must be some kind of coffee addict… every time I see her she has a cup of coffee in her hand. How hard is it to walk two blocks to school without a cup of coffee?”

Several years ago, there was a lady I had seen around town. She was at church, at school, at neighborhood functions. For some reason, she and I never spoke. We’d brush past each other and say hi, but we never had the chance to talk or get to know each other. I just assumed, because she was always so aloof and quiet that she was a snob… too good to have anything to do with the rest of us.

Fast forward a couple of years and this woman and I got put in a task group together. I saw her walk in and immediately felt disappointed that we were going to have to work together. She sat down, turned to me and said, “I have seen you around here for the past few years and am so excited to finally get the chance to work with you and know you!” Ugh – did I feel like the biggest snot in the world or what? After I let my initial beliefs about her slide, we worked well together and now she is one of my best friends.

We miss out on a lot of great opportunities when we have preconceived notions and don’t take the opportunity to really look into something or someone. Beer Bread was that way for me. Several years ago when beer bread became really popular, a friend of mind had some out at her house. I’m not a fan of beer at all and just assumed that because it was made of beer it would have a heavy beer taste. I passed on tasting it based only on my misconceptions.

Beer bread has a very slight yeasty taste… it is soft in the middle and has a gorgeous, buttery outer crust. The best part about it is this delicious loaf of bread can be on your table in about an hour. If you are a mom, you know how wonderful a bread recipe has to be if you can make it and have it ready by dinner time… even if you remember to make it at 5pm.

Put your misconceptions aside and give beer bread a try. Once you do, you will be sorry you didn’t give it a chance earlier!

Beer Bread – Adapted from Recipezaar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix dry ingredients and beer.
  3. Pour into a greased loaf pan.
  4. Pour melted butter over mixture.
  5. Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

Beer Bread is so versatile too! Check out what these other food bloggers have done to make their beer bread unique:

Enter your email address to get Dine & Dish delivered to your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

1. Ellen says

factcheck.org

That’s all I’m sayin’.

The bread looks delicious. I almost made some beer bread tonight actually. Good choice!

I’m so lucky I can’t gain weight from reading your blog, if I did we’d have a serious problem.

I like Sarah Palin. She just comes across as someone who is going to keep people honest. Adding her to the Republican ticket really solidified my vote. She just seems like the kind of person you could meet for Eggnog and Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

I love beer bread…haven’t had it in a while, but it’s great.

A lot of people I come across have huge misconceptions about me. I’m very anti-social and have serious social anxiety. I’m shy and have trouble talking to people I don’t know well. So many people assume I’m snobby or that I think I’m above them. Thank goodness for the people who don’t think that way about me and can tell I just have a hard time opening up. I’m a very nice, kind person.

And yeah, I’m gonna echo what Emily above said. Factcheck.org.

Tanyas last blog post..We Know How To Do Things On A Saturday Night

Thanks for sharing that recipe! It sounds delish, will have to try it soon…

I know what you mean…there have been a few mornings when my son was an infant that I KNOW I left the house looking like I’d slept next to a dumpster..and gotten a few sidelong glances because of it. But it was really just that I’d had a long night with him and needed a cup of coffee before I could deal with the day!

savvysuzies last blog post..GOOG411

Nice post…and so true. And I hate to say that I think women do it to each other more so than men do.

The beer bread looks delicious! Wish I could have it for breakfast this morning!

Bridgets last blog post..Color My World

I love beer bread and I just discovered it in the past couple months – However I confess that when I made it, it was from a box that I bought from tastefully simple. It really was amazing and I love that now I have a great recipe to make at home when I run out – The variation links you also listed are great as it is fun to mix it up here and there.

Will any of us every know the truth? I think it’s more about forming an opinion and supporting it until we’re proven wrong or right. I formed my opinion months ago… and I haven’t been proven wrong yet. It’s just a matter of accepting that people aren’t flawless…

Excellent recipe! I can’t believe I haven’t made beer bread in so long! I think I might make some tonight… because uh… we always have beer.
    ~Cat

The Cat’s Pajamass last blog post..Packing a Punch

hmmm. rush to judgement. one of my better qualities i think.
    i have so done that with a woman who turned out to be a great friend. course then, years later, she turned out to be crazy. i know, crazier than me? but yep. trust me, i know crazy when i see it.
    thanks for stopping by!

I love beer bread. Which reminds me I need to make it again.

About politics. I agree it is exciting. I agree Sarah Palin comes across as a very strong person that could give the republican party a good smack. But it is scary when you read about her strong conservative believes. I think we all have the right to believe in whatever we want to, unfortunately the far right doesn’t think the same and that is a great threat for freedom. That’s my two cents on the topic. factcheck.com is a good source.