Kid Friendly

I got a couple of emails after I posted my “kid friendly” menu on Monday. I guess I should have clarified. I know that my definition of kid friendly and other parents definition of kid friendly can be completely different things. I have been very blessed in the fact that my kids are not picky. They eat just about anything I put in front of them, but part of that is because I don’t cater to their tastes. I cook the recipes I want to cook, and they know that they at least have to try everything on their plate. I don’t make something different for them if they don’t like what we are having for dinner. I do always have fruit and vegetable options available that I know they will eat (so they don’t “starve”), but for the most part, they generally like our meals and eat what is put in front of them. I know I’d better count my blessings because my good fortune with picky eaters is sure to change when they get older. We will cross that bridge when we come to it, but for now I’ll continue cooking the way I do.

Lunch time is when we go for the all out kids fare at our house. Chicken nuggets, macaroni and cheese, PB&J… they get to have the limelight at lunch time. One very kid friendly recipe that my kids go crazy for are Extra Cheesy Crescent Mozzarella Wedges. I love it too because it is so easy to put together and really tastes great.

The ingenious people over at Pillsbury have created a product to make this recipe (and ones like it) even more simple. Crescent Recipe Creations… a product just like the Pillsbury crescent rolls, but with out the perferated seams. Isn’t that brilliant? This will make making the Extra Cheesy Crescent Mozzarella Wedges, Grandma Doyle’s Breakfast Pizza, and more recipes like that so much easier!

The folks at Pillsbury sent me some other great products to try out. Stay tuned for what is new at Pillsbury!

Extra Cheesy Crescent Mozzarella Wedges

22 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 8

1. Place dough out on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
  2. Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
  3. Brush with butter; sprinkle with garlic powder, Italian Seasoning and cheese.
  4. Bake at 375 degree oven for 15-17 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is lightly browned.
  5. Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Searching for more kid friendly recipes? These food bloggers have some great ideas:

• The winner of the Cabaret Brewed Chocolate is…. Chuck from The Knead for Bread Blog! Congratulations Chuck and thank you to all who participated. More giveaways coming up, so stay tuned!
  • We will be saying goodbye to one last friend today. Read about it here.
  • Adopt a Blogger participants… you should have heard from your match by now. If that hasn’t happened, please contact me to let me know!
  • I recently wrote an article for The Daily Tiffin on ways to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Read it here.

Comments

I saw that unperforated crescent roll dough recently and was reminded of some of the things my family used to make with that kind of dough. The best part was that the kids enjoyed helping me cook when they could use ingredients like that, ingredients they thought were fun. What’s more, your Extra Cheesy Wedges look pretty tasty to me too!

Lisas last blog post..Rattlesnake Beans and More at the Farmers Market

I do think you’re right that it’s a good idea not to offer kids a lot of “backup” options, and to make them eat at least a little. I think it’s harder for parents who have to send their kids to day care, so they get used to pizza and chicken finger and whatever else, but in general those are good rules of thumb. I will say, however, that I think there is some play with individual tastes. I was like your kids – I’d eat pretty much anything, and we never ate “kid” style food. I got made fun of for the couscous in my lunchbox, but I dealt. However, I do remember one time my mom said I had to have a bite of string bean casserole before leaving the table and the smell just made me ill, so I refused until about nine pm when she stuck a forkful in my mouth and made me swallow and I threw it up. I’ve only thrown up four times in my life, and that was the second, so you can imagine it was a bit traumatic. I know my mom was trying to do the right thing, but occasionally I think it’s all right to cave to a strong dislike.

Judiths last blog post..That Time of the Year

Sounds like you and I approach feeding our kids similarly. No need to apologize or predict your luck will end, in my opinion. It’s not like you will suddenly start making them all separate dinners so I predict they will stay un-picky.

My lunches are also super simple. It had not occurred to me to play with the storebought doughs this way–I think I may give it a try–to make ME happy, not them. I can only take so many noodle dishes!

Lauras last blog post..Searching For A Savannah To Love–While Ducking 75 MPH Winds

That’s how I feed my kids too. I know it’s paying off when we have meals like tonight – my three-year-old was chowing down on her squash and onions the way other three-year-olds eat chicken nuggets! It was a warm, happy feeling. :-)

That recipe looks so delicious. It’s almost like a foccacia with crescent dough. Yummy!

Stephanies last blog post..Summer Produce, Autumn Flavor!

Hi Kristen,
    How awesome that your kids are so flexible! My kids are too, except for my little one (but he’s getting better). It’s fun to find ways to sneak the food he “hates” on him. He’s always surprise to find out he ate spinach and liked it. :-)

Alexas last blog post..Millet Summer Salad

I’ve been lucky to marry a man that is not too picky, and I pray that my kids will be the same!! I think it helps that you don’t cater to just what each of them wants – that’s what I’m planning on doing! I just hope my kiddos don’t end up having some crazy food allergies!!

I’m awaiting a sampling of Pillsbury products today, and if I didn’t already have a recipe chosen out to make, I’d be making this tonight!

Deborahs last blog post..Black Bottom Cupcakes

Now that Walt’s eating table food, I’m going to be cooking a lot more of your recipes. Luckily, he pretty much eat everything. I hope he stays this way. I already know this cheesy bread will be a huge hit.

Annes last blog post..Home & Hip

Looks yummy! I was just complaining about how most dinners are failures around my house. I only serve one meal, but they still seem to be picky. I won’t give up on getting them to see past spaghetti, pizza and tacos!
    I’ve just discovered your blog… it’s wonderful! Great recipes and ideas! Thanks.

Trishas last blog post..mark my word

I feed my kids the same way, the, “You’ll eat what we’re ALL eating,” way… but cater to them more at snack time and such.

(P.S. Your button blogroll turned out lovely. It’s gorgeous!)