Commitment Issues

This weekend, as I was cleaning out my bathroom cabinets, I came to the realization that I have some serious commitment issues. Not with relationships, not with work and not with family obligations. My commitment issues lie in the form of product commitments. Shampoo for example. I buy shampoo, get through 3/4 of the bottle and go out and buy new shampoo. Instead of using all of the shampoo left in the old bottle, I put it in my cabinet and start using the new bottle. Hairspray, lotion, makeup… it is all the same. I just toss them to the side and give the newest product my attention. I can’t commit to a whole bottle of shampoo therefore I have cabinets full of the used bottle rejects wondering what they did to fail me. The thing is, I can love the shampoo, but I love trying out new things even better. Eventually the shampoo of the moment will get put aside and a shiner model will take its place too. I am, keep in mind, and equal opportunity non-commiter.

I am afraid I am passing this same trait on to my kids. If you look at the cereal boxes in our pantry, you will find boxes of cereal with 3/4 of the cereal gone. When I think we are running low on cereal, I go out and buy new cereal. As soon as the new cereal enters the house, the old boxes of cereal lose their appeal for the woo of something new.

This muffin recipe is for those of you with commitment issues, like myself. You can make your neglected cereal feel loved again by using the remaining bits to make muffins that will make you want to have even more neglected cereal so you can make them again and again. In this case, being a non-commiter is actually a good thing!

Along with these muffins, we enjoyed a cup of Cabaret Brewed Chocolate. Sweet, rich, unique… Cabaret Brewed Chocolate is the perfect drink for those of you who may not be fans of coffee but enjoy a warm beverage. Not as sweet and caloric as hot chocolate, this product is one you will want to keep around as the weather turns colder. The folks at Cabaret are giving my readers a chance to win a jar of of their Brewed Chocolate. To be considered, check out the Cabaret website and then please leave a comment on this post telling me what your favorite warm beverage is. All entries must be submitted by 10pm CST on Tuesday 9/16 and the winner will be notified via email the following day. Good luck!

Breakfast Cereal Muffins (from Recipezaar)

30 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 12 , 12 muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease 12 medium sized (2 3/4″ diameter) muffin cups.
  3. In a mixing bowl, beat egg and whisk together with oil, milk and honey.
  4. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients; mixed well.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until flour is moist (batter should be lumpy).
  6. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with the batter, and bake for 20-25 minutes (until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted).
  7. Remove from pan immediately.

Looking for more ways to use up some breakfast cereal? These food bloggers have some great ideas:

• Tomorrow night is the deadline for entering the drawing for the County Bob’s Cookbook! Check out the details HERE
  • The Adopt-a-Blogger 2 matches have been made! Make sure to check out and support those people participating. Please make sure to drop by my adoptee’s site, Apples and Butter, and say hi!
  • There is a new site for moms out there created by two of my favorite food bloggers. Make sure to check out Voice of Mom
Enter your email address to get Dine & Dish delivered to your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

1. Bonnie says

My favorite hot drink is Good Earth’s Caffeine free Sweet and Spicy Tea, but I would really love to try this brewed chocolate!

2. Jessica says

My favorite hot drink is a hazelnut latte. This cabaret brewed chocolate sounds delicious, though! I also love a good hot apple cider.

I have a terrible addiction to shampoos and soaps. If you look in my bathroom closet right now you will find at least 10 bottles of partially used shampoos and at least 20 bars of soap. I have favorites and have no idea why I just don’t stick with them. My boyfriend lovingly calls me “shampoo girl”.

My favorite hot drink is a cup of Caribou daybreak brewed in my Senseo with milk and a tablespoon of malt powder mixed in.

Micheles last blog post..A Great Idea for a Lazy Weekend

I love your commitment issues confession! Makes me feel better! Muffins sound like the perfect way to get rid of leftover-bottom-of-the-box cereal. {I’ve been known to use bottom-of-the-bottle shampoo as bubble bath, but that’s the extent of it!}

Sharis last blog post..The Omnivore’s 100 Poll

Just finished ckg out the Cabaret website and I’m sooo tempted. I want hot coco now!

Thanks for the reminder to enter and win!

My favorite hot drink is the Lipton Orange and Spice tea. It’s a staple in my Fall and Winter diet.

6. Beth says

I look forward to fall. And Williams Sonoma selling their mulled spices. I love mulled cider. But even more I think of and wish for cooler weather so I can have mulled wine.

And I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one w/a life time supply of beauty products. I could go a few years at least w/out buying lotion, soap, hair products, etc.

We like to use raisin bran to make muffins, too, and use maple syrup instead of honey. I’d love to taste that brewed chocolate, haven’t seen it in any stores near us. Yum! My favorite hot drink is mulled wine, especially at Christmas time.

Hehe, the ad on their website cracks me up!! I’m going to go watch it again :-) My favorite hot drink is tea, almost all kinds of tea (except fruit tea because for some reason my pediatrician always had fruit tea in his waiting room and it makes me feel like I’m 5 years old waiting for a shot at the doctor’s – ick!). Still, there’s nothing like hot chocolate in winter, and it’s starting to get cold…

Hopies last blog post..Lamb Masala

Same commitment issues going on here at this household too, with juice, cereals, soft drinks, toothpaste-you name it.

I don’t drink coffee, and love hot chocolate so I would love to try this! I know in the ethnic stores they have slabs of chocolate that you can break off and put in boiling water, my Guatemalan sister in law used to do this all the time for me because she knew I wasn’t a coffee fan.

micaela6955 at msn dot com

I have a container that leftover cereal gets dumped into and then gets used for crumbs, breads, whatever. Of course, we don’t have kid-friendly cereals….
    As to the shampoos, etc. I used to be that way… Now I squeeze every last drop out of everything… And I ccan’t even tell you why I changed… Hmmmm….