Autumn in a Bundle

It is now September. September! Can you believe that? I love spring. I adore summer. I am crazy about autumn! The only thing I don’t like about autumn is that at the end comes winter, and I could totally and completely do without winter.

Autumn conjures up so many warm and cozy feelings for me. Just a few of my favorite autumn things are:

• My birthday is in October, so it is no wonder I love this time of year!
  • School supplies… nothing says Fall to me like a box of new crayons and freshly sharpened pencils. Of course, with school starting in early August now, this correlation will probably be extinct by the time my kids get to be my age.
  • College football. I still love football this time of year. By January I am ready to kick football to the curb, but in the fall there is nothing like the spirit and excitement of college game day.
  • Candles – I love the Yankee Candle fall scents. For some reason, I rarely burn candles in the summer, but in the fall, I have candles burning all day long.
  • Visits to the pumpkin patch. This is probably my all time favorite family activity. We usually go out to Weston, Missouri to the Red Barn Farm. The trees are abundant with color, the pumpkin patch is full of pumpkins to choose from, the allergies are fired up… it is always a fun, memory filled day!
  • Clothes that cover the pudge. I love for it to be cool enough to wear jeans and a light sweater, but warm enough that you don’t need to put on a heavy coat.
  • The slight chill in the air. I love having the windows open and feeling the cool breeze come in.
  • A light quilt and a good book. I love quilts that are well worn… the kind that seem to conform to your body in all the right spots. Give me a quilt and a good book, let me sit by the window or out on the deck, and I am in pure bliss.
  • Fall flavors… pumpkin, baked apples, cinnamon and spice… Autumn is the best time of year for baking.

Today I was browsing through Yankee Candle and even though I just ate breakfast, I was starving by the time I left the store. I, being the foodie that I am, tend to navigate towards the food scented candles. Apple Pie, Oatmeal Cookies, Chai Tea… no wonder I was hungry. My belly thought it was going to be getting some great food, but instead it was nose that got all of the pleasure.

In an effort to give my tummy some pleasure, I came home and began flipping through my new “go to for desserts” cookbook, The Pampered Chef Delightful Desserts. A recipe that I had been flipping past, waiting for just the right occasion, jumped out at me as the perfect way to welcome Autumn. These apple bundles are all of the cozy things of Autumn all wrapped in a delicious dessert.

Make these and you won’t need a Yankee Candle to fill your house with the scents of Autumn. Sit down, savor the moment, and think about what you love about the beginning of this new and wonderful season. Care to share?

Apple Bundles from Pampered Chef Delightful Desserts

2 lg apples
1 pkg refrigerated breadstick dough — 11 oz
1 med orange
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375F. Peal, core, and slice apples. Cut slices in half. Unroll dough; separate into 8 breadsticks. Cut each in half crosswise to make 16 strips. Place 3-4 apple slices at the end of each piece of dough; roll up. Arrange bundles in greased 7×11″ pan. Zest 1 t. orange rind, set aside. Juice orange. Pour orange juice into bottom of pan (but not over bundles). Brush bundles with butter. Mix zest, sugar and cinnamon; spoon over bundles. Bake 25-30 min. or until golden brown.

Are you ready to welcome Autumn with some yummy apple recipes? Check out these other recipes from food bloggers around the blogosphere:

………………………………………………………………………………….

• Adopt-a-Blogger matches should be coming out within the week. We could still use a few more Veteran bloggers. If you are interested in mentoring a new blogger, contact me as soon as possible!
  • I participated in Wordless Wednesday for the first time over on my family blog – Dishing It Up Family Style
  • I am looking for a good blog designer who can work on a special project for me. I’ve contacted my go to designer, Jules from Everyday Mommy, but if she isn’t available I’d love to have some other people to check out. Know of anyone? Let me know!
Enter your email address to get Dine & Dish delivered to your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

I love everything about fall. The weather, the feeling of settling in, the food, the football. All of it says “relax” to me.

Your dessert looks yummy. Cinnamon and apples are just the perfect combo that says “Autumn has arrived!”

Shalees last blog post..Wednesday Me-For-Works

I get those same warm and cozy feelings too! I absolutely love fall! My birthday is in November, the same week as Thanksgiving. Every few years my birthday actually falls on Thanksgiving (or is it the other way around?). I also love the scents and flavors – autumn harvest fruits and vegetables are some of my favorites. So many of the things you mentioned are my favorite parts of the season as well – the leaves, being able to cuddle up in a quilt … You know, maybe I should just write my own post about this, so I don’t end up leaving you a post-sized comment! :-)

Those apple bundles look so good! Perfect for autumn.

Stephanies last blog post..National Welsh Rarebit Day

3. Laura says

Mmm, these look great. I’ve been having a hankering for apple pie… and I had to click on the apple fritter link (my favorite donut!!).

Okay, it’s really gone! I just said I would love Autumn too if as you said, it didn’t signal Winter’s imminence! Hooray for me that your Autumn means my spring. But don’t worry, spring isn’t going to stop me from making something as gorgeous as this with apples! Your photo is just beautiful! I can’t get enough of fall apple creations!

Hot Garlics last blog post..Size… It really does matter

5. Nella says

Just when we have had enough of one season, another shows up. I love Midwest seasons. Fall is the best of the seasons. It is a combination of the best of each of the other seasons. That’s why I like it so well.

Perfect! I’ve been looking for a recipe to use a bucket of apples that a friend’s grandmother gave me earlier this week – fresh from the tree in the yard! I’ve got some crescent roll dough that I bet would be perfect for these… inspiration!

Kates last blog post..The Foodie Blogroll!

I love the coziness of fall, it’s such an appealing season. These apple bundles look tempting & sound easy to make. I think I’ll try this recipe substituting peaches for the apples, and serve them as an after-school treat.

Fall is my all-time favorite season, (although Spring comes in a very close second!) I’m especially looking forward to the cool-down this year with the pregnancy and all. I can’t imagine having a summer baby…

These look like fall to me! I can’t wait to start making all kinds of apple desserts!

Deborahs last blog post..Strawberries with Mint

I just subscribed to your feed thanks to a recommendation from Google Reader and really enjoy it! In fact, after today’s post, I think we’re kindred spirits as we share your whole list in common. And, I used to be a Pampered Chef consultant, so I too am a big fan of that cookbook!

Jimis last blog post..Linking made easy

Hi,
    Unfortunately we don’t have an autumn here in the Sunshine State. We have sunshine, heat, rain, and humidity pretty much all year. None the less I do enjoy the “autumn” flavors. Whenever I break out those spices Babygirl says “mommy it smells like Thanksgiving”.

I might have to check out that cookbook seems like it has alot of good easy recipes. I’ve made something similar but not quite that easy…might have to toss out the old recipe.

~ingrid

Ingrids last blog post..I need S’ mores, please!