Fishy Fish Fish

My family loves fish. Well, I am not sure if that is exactly true. My family loves fish that does not taste like fish. If the fish has a fish flavor, the fish is not loved. However, if I can spice up and drown out the fishy flavor of the fish, then the fish is gobbled up. So, my family likes fish as long as it tastes nothing like fish. Make sense?

Last week I saw a tip that said “To capture the flavor of your fresh caught fish, soak it in milk”. So, is this to actually keep the fresh fish flavor of the fish then? For those people who actually want their fish to taste like fish? I guess for those of you who live near the coast and have access to fish fresh from the sea, then fish tasting like fish is actually not a bad thing? Here in Kansas, we can get fresh from the pond catfish, but trust me… you don’t want it tasting fishy. Deep fry and season the hell out of that sucker so it tastes nothing like the pond it came from!

Anyway, we have non-fishy tasting fish at least a couple of times in our house. Cod, because of the ease to make and the ability to simply get rid of the fishy fish flavor, is a favorite. If you like your fish to not be fishy then give this non-fishy flavored fish recipe a try. You won’t even know you are eating fish, which makes me wonder.. why not just eat chicken?

Lemon Baked Cod (from Recipezaar)

35 min | 10 min prep

SERVES 4

1. If fish fillets are large, cut into serving pieces.
  2. Mix butter and lemon juice.
  3. In another bowl, mix flour, salt and white pepper.
  4. Dip fish into butter mixture; coat fish with flour mixture.
  5. Place fish in ungreased square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches.
  6. Pour remaining butter mixture over fish; sprinkle with paprika.
  7. Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until fish flakes easily with fork, 25-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley sprigs and lemon slices if desired.
You love non-fishy fish too? Check out these other great recipes from food bloggers around the globe:

Comments

Here’s one thing to keep in mind- if fish smells ‘fishy’ or has a fishy taste, it’s generally because it isn’t fresh. Fish shouldn’t smell ‘fishy’.

The milk deal? Who knows, but it wouldn’t hurt to try. I like to just press my fish into seasoned flour with a little cornmeal in it then drop it into a very hot skillet. So delicious and perfect! Have you tried tilapia? Mahi mahi?

I like disguising my fish with flavorful butters or sauces. Lemon, thyme crushed black pepper is always good too. YUM E!

Cod and Tilapia are my fav’s but once in a while I LOVE Yellow Bass. (May be it was the lemon/herb butter, hmmm?)

3. pat/Mom says

We used to catch catfish from a river. To clean it out inside, we put it live in a large tub of clean water for at least 24 hours. Then we killed it and cleaned it. (That was a story in itself that you don’t want to hear.) We then coated it in flour and corn meal and fried it in hot oil. It tasted like catfish!

Hey again! Yes, this fish sounds tasty and simple. It looks really appetizing in your photo!

I was reading your last post, about all of the changes. I agree. I am pretty new to this, even though I have been blogging for almost a year, it was really just for friends and family until just recently, and I really wasn’t involved in the community. I bet it has changed A LOT. I hadn’t thought of it that way before, it makes it interesting to think of where it will go and how it will continue to change.

Hot Garlics last blog post..Passion. Fruit.

My husband says the same thing about fish! I cook salmon on top of the lemon slices, in the oven. Pretty yummy. Then broil the top. The lemon flavor bakes in to the fish.

I love fish! Any kind.

Thanks for the smile.

Fish as long as it doesn’t taste like fish – yep, makes total sense!

My parents never cooked fish when I was growing up so I’m still experimenting with how to cook it but this looks delicious.

7. CHowitt says

The Milk trick is actually to remove fishy flavor. Its used on really strong oily fish like bluefish. You should try it, itll work for your anti-fishy fam :)

I love fish. Could eat it every day really… Some of my kids are not so thrilled with it when it has a stronger taste. I have found all kinds of ways over the years to make it a part of our regular diet. When I was a kid my mom use to soak salt-cod in milk. Your recipe sounds wonderful. I’m sure this will be hit with them!

Alexas last blog post..Salmon Rice Medley with Pistachio Swiss Chard Pesto

My family suffers from the same dilemma, though I tend to like fish more than the boys or husband. I got my husband and boys to eat salmon by making it Japanese style with a sweetened pan sauce and serving with buckwheat noodles. I like your recipe. Simple with good flavors!

10. Tori says

Hi. The fishy/muddy flavors you’ve tasted in your local pond-raised catfish/tilapia/etc are most likely caused by the compounds geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol, which the fish absorb from algae in the water. Both are broken down by acids. Soaking the fish in too strong an acid (like lemon juice) will denature the proteins and ‘cook’ the fish (think ceviche)– but an hour-long soak in buttermilk before cooking will significantly reduce the off-flavors without affecting the texture of the fish. Good luck!

11. Lisa says

Now this is the kinda fish I want. You’re right about the pond taste, yuck! I always think if you fry fish, it’s fishier too. Baked cod and mild fish is what I’m about, otherwise, where’s the chicken?