Bad Guys & Apple Bars

When I was much younger, 6th or 7th grade,  I spent the night at my friend Ginny McReynolds house. It was a warm night and as we got into her bed I pulled the light blankets up over me, and then did as I often did and maneuvered myself so my feet stuck out at the end.

“You can’t do that!!!”, she screamed. “You need to keep your feet inside the covers. If some bad guy comes in to get us, you are making it too easy for him. He can just grab your feet and pull you out. If you at least have your feet tucked in, it will be harder for him to get you.”

Terrified, I pulled my feet in under the covers. I don’t think I slept at all that night… worrying about the “bad guy” who was going to come and untangle me out of the covers.

Would you believe that this many years later, every night when I get into bed, I think of Ginny McReynolds. Every single night, I go to put my feet out of the covers and every single night, I slip them back in… not wanting to give the “bad guy” an easier way to “get me”. Yes, I am nearing 35 years old and am still fearful of this random “bad guy”. Ginny’s advice from that many years ago has stuck with me.

What, do you say, does this have to do with those yummy muffins photographed above? Well, I’ll tie that in loosely right here. When I was pregnant with my first child, I had horrid morning sickness. Morning, noon and night sickness is more like it. One day, a co-worker of mine brought in some chunky apple breakfast bars. They were kind of like muffin texture, but in bar form. They were delicious. I ate and ate and ate those chunky apple breakfast bars. Then, within minutes of devouring the delicious bars, my child decided that he wanted to have nothing to do with those bars and decided to send them right back up. Sparing the details, that was the only day that I ended up going home from work my entire pregnancy. I was sooooo sick. Since then, that memory of the apple bars and my unruly tummy has been stuck in my brain. I could eat apple pie still, but any kind of other apple cake type thing turned my stomach upside down.

I have since decided that this is nonsense. Why should the memory of that one situation keep me away from something I loved so much? In order to show myself who is boss, I decided to start off slowly with some Apple Pie muffins. I didn’t want to go straight into the apple bars.. that would have been too crazy, but muffins I can handle, and did handle! These muffins with the small diced up apples, the lovely crispy topping, and the cinnamon flavor are amazing. My gag reflex didn’t even ignite once. Now, doesn’t that make you want one of these? Seriously, they are yummy!

Glad I took the chance on these. Now… if I can only just do something about that “bad guy” grabbing my feet in the middle of the night.

Apple Pie Muffins (adapted from Recipezaar)

45 min | 20 min prep

SERVES 18

Topping

Muffins

1. Topping: In a small bowl toss together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside.
  2. Muffins: In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt.
  4. Stir oil mixture into flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
  5. Fold in apples, mixing just until combined.
  6. Spoon into greased muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
  7. Sprinkle topping over evenly.
  8. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back.
Looking for some more apple recipes to tempt your tastebuds? Check out what other bloggers around the blogosphere are doing:

Comments

That is funny and those muffins look fabulous!

I have something that stuck with me since I was a kid. Someone told me that a spider could crawl into the bottom of a banana, so never eat the very end. I never do.

Now, how could a spider do that???? :)

Oooh, I have been wanting to try a streuseled apple cinnamon muffin recipe ever since I conquered my fear of streusel (with blueberry muffins). This looks perfect! And I have perfect apples to go with them (Early Golds).

Your first story cracked me up.

3. Jennifer says

I totally associate food with my pregnancies. Right now an apple a day is keeping the morning (noon/night)sickness at bay (at least for an hour or two). I’ve never loved apples so much! I’ll have to try this recipe.

Those muffins look great! I can nearly smell them. :)

Too funny about the story your friend told sticking with you…maybe it’s time to double check that the doors & windows are locked, and stick your little toes out the end of the blanket. ;)

I’m so lucky, I never did get morning sickness, all three pregnancies. I’m not rubbing it in or anything. ;) I love anything apple in muffin form so this sounds fabulous, I’m bookmarking it ASAP!

Oh the mighty pregnancy food aversion. This time around it’s been meat. I’ve been a vegetarian almost this entire pregnancy. With Caedon it was spicy food. I still can’t eat green chile. I guess at some point I’ll have to get over it. Especially if I plan on growing old with EMT-Dad. It’s almost a deal breaker in our house.

Those muffins look so good. I love muffins. Such a great time of year for this recipe too. Start of school just always reminds me of apples.

What a story! I used to dangle a foot over the edge of the bed, but pulled it in quickly, just in case the monsters got me! It does stick there at the back of the mind though!

i can think of nothing worse than developing a distaste for apple treats. well, my hips, thighs, and booty might disagree with that statement, but my palate sure feels that way.
    these sound perfect–welcome back to apple love! :)

graces last blog post..61

Funny how, no matter how grown up we are, we carry some of those deep-seated fears from childhood… Glad you’ve gotten over the apple muffin thing, though. Food memories run deep, too, and apples should always be a good memory!

And they don’t even make you gag — perfect! They sound great! :-) I mean you can’t go wrong with ingredients like apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. Unless you put something strange in…like tuna…ew. Sorry, didn’t mean to put that gag reflex back in gear!

I only feel safe under the covers at night. Even in the summer, I have to have at least a sheet. Everyone knows the monsters can’t get you through the sheet, but if you kick it off, it’s free banquet for the monsters!

Hopies last blog post..Popular?!