There was a time…

There was a time in my life when I used to buy all of my intimate apparel at Victoria’s Secret. I would not be caught dead without a matching bra and pantie ensemble on and that matching ensemble had to have the same colors in it as my outfit did. Even though people would not necessarily see my intimate apparel, I just felt better knowing that I matched underneath.

There was a time in my life when I used to shave my legs… every single day. It was part of my luxurious morning routine to lounge around in the shower, exfoliate, and shave.

There was a time in my life when I would not leave the house without makeup on. Even as I started having contractions at home in the middle of the night with my first child, I got up, took a shower and put on makeup. I did not want the pictures taken of me in the hospital to be without makeup.

There was a time in my life where I always had polished, well manicured hands. On the day my husband proposed to me, I had just taken my finger nail polish off and had gone out for a run. I was sweaty and gross. When he got down on one knee, took my hand, and presented the ring to place on my finger, I seriously gasped at my fingers…forgetting that I had removed the polish , ran into the bathroom, painted my nails and came back to him to say “yes” and place the ring on my hand. (Can you believe he went through with it after that “diva” moment?)

And, there was a time in my life that I ran. Enough said.

In relation to the above statement, there was a time in my life that I actually weighed what is listed on my drivers license.

There was a time in my life where I considered a can of Diet Coke to be a good breakfast. Little did I know what I had been missing…

I bid farewell to that time in my life. I cheer for this time in my life, where life is so happily full I don’t have time to worry about what color my underwear and bra are, where I shave my legs almost everyday (but not quite), and I have a few more curves (OK… the drivers license bureau folks would keel over laughing if they saw me and my drivers license in the same room), but those extra curves are the result of a few precious kiddos (aka my excuses) and the realization that breakfast beyond Diet Coke is something I could really get used to.

It is time to out with the old, and in with the new. Breakfast is hip, trendy, fashionable and sexy. Are you convinced yet? If not, check out this recipe from fellow food blogging buddy, Deborah at Taste and Tell. Try it once and you will be knocking shaving your legs and intimate apparel coordinating down on the list of morning priorities to make room for starting your day off with a great breakfast.

Brown Sugar Muffins from Deborah at Taste and Tell

Makes 16 muffins

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup nuts, chopped coarsely (I omitted)

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease or line 16 muffin cups.

Combine all ingredients until mixed. Fill prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until done.

Are you ready for some muffins? Try out these other recipes from food bloggers around the blogosphere:

Comments

Haha! Congratulations for getting past that point in your life. It kind of makes me think of my teenage years. In my case, I was ironically too heavy though I really cared about it, and looked horrible but longed to be fashionable, and dated boys but was miserable about it. Now I’m thin but don’t give a darn, take care of the way I look but have no interest in romance and am happy that way, and am an out and proud lesbian – which means I am perfectly happy never shaving any part of my body, haha. I can’t say I’ve ever in my life had matching underwear, though!

Ha! I have those “I gave up shaving daily for this?” days.

Mmmm..that muffin looks good. And I like that I don’t have to run out to go get a list of ingredients. It looks like I have everything on hand. I love muffins…becuase even if they are not good, hey! It’s still a muffin and muffins make people happy.

3. Lisa says

Oh, Kristen, I haven’t visited in a while and EVERYTHING on this page looks amazing. I think my hubby would give up a nite of pizza for the burgers wrapped in bacon. Maybe that would be a good treat on a weekend after he golfs!!

Thanks for stopping by my site and leaving a comment about my corn bread! Stop by and visit anytime!!
    I love this post! I too am past “that” point in my life! Hey, Take me for what I am, like it or not!!!!

Lol- Well I do still shave my legs everyday out of habit.
    I never got to the matching underware phase so nothing for me to grow out of!:)

reading this post reminds me when i was single ..now that i have a baby and hubby everything pass before me and my needs :-)

btw, this brown sugar muffin looks delicious!

Oh yeah we’ve all been there. It’s seems as if life without kids was in some other space and time continuum…glad you’ve made it full circle.

Hmmm, I think we’re kindred spirits in more ways than one, Kristen.

I’ll make those sexy muffins… just as soon as I can unpack everything that I packed this weekend. You might want to give me a couple of weeks…

HI Kristen,

I hope you all are having a terrific summer! It is so hard to believe that we are almost down to a month until we start all over again. I am not sure I am ready to get super busy! Today, I made a cake with the yummy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting that you recommended. It is oh, so good! :) I had the frosting all over my lips by the end! I hope it is all the rave for the Bible study group meeting at my house tonight. I am hopeful that they will be so into the cake that they won’t notice all the paint cans, kitchen cabinets off their frames, and a hallway half done. Btw, I added your blog to mine, to remind me to check yours more often for yummies.

I’m so glad you made the muffins and liked them. They are a favorite from childhood.

I shave my legs every other day – does that count??

oh, you are too awesome to write this and let the rest of us release our own inner humans! you definitely win the “enthusiastically human” award this week. i love it– bring on The Breakfast.

This post made me grin–I remember those “there was a time” days, too! Luckily, life just seems to get better and better, even if I don’t have nicely manicured nails. Thanks for sharing a great muffin recipe! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a great comment. :-)
    I remember my diva days very well. I don’t miss them at all. There is so much more in life to fill my time up with than polishing the nails, spending an hour on my hair and make-up and watching my waist-line. Life is too short to be a diva. I still can’t believe that your husband waited for you to polish your nails…how adorable.

I’m just blog-hopping here :) This post cracked me up- and I can so totally relate! Those muffins look deelish, I’m going to try them for sure.

Hehehe, great post! I have to confess, I still take secret pleasure in matching my underwear and outfit — but I’d take muffins over perfectly-shaved legs any day!

Those look particularly amazing and I actually have all the ingredients in the house (including brown sugar, which I have quite a time finding in France and hoard like nobody’s business when I run across it!). I’m going to give them a try ASAP!