Road Trip

The kids, my fun and crazy Aunt Rose, and I are off on a 16+ hour road trip tomorrow to visit my parents at the very southern tip of the big old state of Texas. I think when my parents retired down near South Padre, they decided to really test us to see how much we love them… would we travel that far to visit them regularly? Mom and Dad – we love you. 16+ hours in the car with three kids under six will hopefully convince you of that ;)

I am looking forward to seeing them, relaxing some, and hanging out on the beach… making sand castles, frolicking in the waves, and just being away from everyday reality for a bit. Of course, as my vacation luck would have it, they are supposed to get some kind of tropical storm there. I hope we have at least a few good sunny days!

If not, we will still have fun. I will make mom make up for the unfortunate weather by cooking us some of her delicious homemade shell macaroni and cheese. Comfort food at its finest!

Grandma Sugar’s Shell Macaroni and Cheese

SERVES 4

1. Cook macaroni 10 minutes in boiling salted water.
  2. Coat microwave safe casserole dish with melted butter.
  3. Put cheese cubes, milk, and pepper in butter-coated, 2-quart casserole dish and microwave six minutes on medium power or until cheese is melted. Stir until it creates cheese sauce.
  4. Add cooked macaroni to the cheese sauce. Stir until all macaroni shells are coated with cheese sauce.
  5. Slice cheddar cheese into approximately 3/8″ slices and insert slices into macaroni and cheese sauce mixture.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until browned.

So, you are craving comfort food? Check out these other Macaroni and Cheese recipes from some other great food bloggers:

Comments

Hi Kristen, I am sorry I have not stopped by your blog- I have been busy (you know…LOL). I just wanted to say hi! And by the way- this is a lot like my Grandma’s mac n cheese recipe but she never used Cheddar- I need to make this! :)

This is so strange but just a week ago I made homemade mac and cheese with shell pasta that came out looking just like yours! The sad part is it had 1000 ingredients. I need to try yours, seems simpler! I also have to check out the crock pot mac! Thanks!!

my sister will not make macaroni and cheese without velveeta, and i used to fight her about it…until i tried it. velveeta! LOL

Oh, boy! We only have a 3 hour drive to get to my parents’ and at the 2 hour and 45 minute mark, the kids all start getting antsy, it’s high time we get there! Good luck with the 16 hours ahead, have fun and take lots of pictures! :)

Mmm…nothing is as good a comfort food as cheesy pasta. Hope you have a wonderful trip…you are brave to go 16+ hours with 3 kids…wow!

Well, you probably won’t see this until you get back, so I hope you had a great time! And from the looks of it, this pasta alone is worth the drive..

You can’t go wrong w/ cheese and pasta.
    So glad I found your website, thanks to Everyday Mommy. LOVIN’ it.

P.S. Found you on Twitter (Candiandsons)

8. pat/Mom says

Yes, I know you love us “a bushel and a peck”! What a great time WE had with you, Aunt Rose, and the kiddos. Hurricane Dolly couldn’t “dampen” our experience, but it would have been so much better with Air Conditioning and less wind and rain. Miss you guys already. Love MOM