Is it really okay to eat Puppy Chow??

“Is it really okay to eat Puppy Chow?” This is a question my almost 5 year old son asks me anytime I make this delicious snack.

puppychow.jpg He just can’t get over the fact that we are eating something named after dog food, and that looks like dog food too! I wish it bothered me more because Puppy Chow is my weakness. Put a plate of cookies in front of me… I can pass. Put a box of chocolates in front of me… I can resist. Put a bowl of fresh Puppy Chow in front of me and I go nuts. I just can’t stop nibbling from the bowl.

Where the heck was I this week when I was reminded that I hadn’t made my annual batch of puppy chow? It was someone’s blog, I know, but now for the life of me I can’t remember where it was. If it was you who gave me the reminder, please speak up so I can give you the credit for adding 5 pounds to my waistline.

If you haven’t had Puppy Chow before, you are missing out. It’s not the most sophisticated of snacks, but it sure is good!

Puppy Chow

9 cups Chex or Crispex cereal

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup butter

2 teaspoons vanilla

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Pour the cereal into a large bowl and set aside. Microwave the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and stick butter for 1 minute on high. Stir and then microwave for 30 seconds longer or until smooth. Add vanilla and stir. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until coated. Pour mixture into a large paper grocery sack. Add powdered sugar, close the bag and shake until it’s completely coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. To maintain freshness, store in a sealed zip loc bag or sealed tupperware container.

One week ago today I was dishing about My Oven Going on Strike.

Over at our family blog I was dishing about Hugs Being Cool.

Comments

Kristen, the doog food looks really yummy. I’ll have to make some when I get back. My son, when he was still a rug rat, used to eat actual dog food from the dog’s dish. This looks far more tasty. Happy holidays!

[sheepishly] it was me.

I’m glad you made it and I KNOW! I’ve been eating the damn stuff uncontrollably for several days now. To the point of sugar-high sickness even :(

yours is very pretty. i think it should be called snowflakes, because that’s what they look like to me!

Never heard of Puppy Chow before! Looks great.Chex mix smothered in sugar pd etc.Now that’s a kid’s dream!:D Thanks Kristen.Have a great time.

That looks soooo good! I might have to whip up a batch. It’s too bad my only "children" are actually puppies – no chocolate for them. But that means more for me!

My daughter made some of this last night, we love to make it every year! She didn’t want to put it in a bag though (which I think is easier)….she thought that wasn’t clean I think. Do you just ask for unused paper bags at the store?

6. Kristen says

Hi Gail!
    I do just ask for unused paper bags at the store. I usually have one or two on hand for this occassion.
    Such a sanitary gal you have :) How does she do hers?

My sister’s sister-in-law made this last weekend and I had some and OH MY GOODNESS! It is so good! I wasn’t able to get the recipe from her though so I’m DElighted to see it here. Thanks! I’m printing and USING this one. :)